Village Hall in Weeton
Weeton Village Hall was purchased by the residents of Weeton Village from Haydock Camp. It was brought to Weeton in 1920.
The Hall was purchased from monies collected from working people in Weeton. All working people contributed 2/6 that’s 15 pence in today’s money. It was transported from Haydock to Kirkham by train in sections. From Kirkham, it was transported to Weeton by horse and cart.
During the first world war, it was used by the Women’s Royal Voluntary Service (WRVS) as a canteen to service many of the 7,500 soldiers stationed at Weeton Army Camp.
It has been in the same location all this time and could tell many a story.
After the war, it was returned to the people of Weeton as a Village Hall.
Village Hall Committee
Trustees of Weeton Village Hall:
Weeton Village Hall Committee:
Chairman – Peter Isles
Vice-Chairman – John Singleton
Treasurer – Lynn Whiteside
Secretary – Isabel Gardener
Crofter Newsletter – John Singleton
Members of the Committee: